Here come the Visigoths.

I don’t usually get into discussions/arguments about politics, either in my blog, on my f/b page or anywhere else on the Net. I like a quiet life. I do all my seething in the shower. I download my angst to the long-suffering Old Boy, who raises his eyebrows and makes non-comittal grunting noises. And, I tell Rex the Wonder Dog how the world should be ordered and, wise canine, he always agrees with me. That’s as far as it goes…usually. I know that politicians work long hours and most of them have the good of the community at heart. (Please don’t burst that particular bubble; it’s the only way I can sleep at night.) So, unlike most of my compatriots, I don’t spend a lot of time having fun at their expense …tempting as it...

Read More

Hanging in there…

I’m having one of those ‘why am I even bothering to try’ times. It might be because the skies have been grey and the rain and wind haven’t let up for several days. I could put it down to a combination of chronic arthritis and cabin fever…or it might be that I’ve been waiting to hear from the publisher for AGES. If I ever get a novel published it’ll probably be posthumously! I don’t have tickets on myself. I realise I’ll never be the next J K Rowling. But, I’m a reviewer. In the past six years I’ve read several truckloads of books. And I have to say, compared to about 60% of them – maybe more – I write as well, or better. Of course, there’s the other 40% or so, who are much much...

Read More

Holidays: The Old Boy, Rex and me.

Being on holiday and sticking to your diet – sorry, “Healthy Life-Style Plan” – is dead-set BORING! Especially when it’s winter. Oh for a hot meat pie, or flaky pasty for lunch. Oh for a block of fruit and nut chocolate to nibble on (okay, to wolf down) in the evening. Oh for a gooey vanilla slice or yeasty fruit bun with a cappucino for afternoon tea. Hmmm…I’m beginning to see how I got in this state in the first place! I think it’s because it’s so cold. My internal bear wants to bulk up and then go hibernate until the spring. Rex the Wonder Dog is adjusting to the new place. He had a nocturnal encounter with a kangaroo the other night. The Old Boy was out with him (I was in by the fire). He said you...

Read More

Counting the days.

I’m on countdown mode for a holiday; only four more sleeps to go. I’ve just got a final check-through to do, and a report to write, for an editing job (I’m having a short break, sir, and then I’ll be right back to it) and then I’ll be free! Well, sort of. I’m taking a stack of reading with me, none of them my choice. I’m one of the judges for a competition and I have a bucket load of books to get through in the next month or so. And no – I won’t tell you what competition in case you’ve entered it and you end up disappointed. I value what little health I have left. I’m sure most of the books will be enjoyable and the others will make me feel better about my own efforts. So, thank you in advance to...

Read More

Thank you, doc!

Visited my doc the other day, clutching my list of ‘things-I-must-remember-to-ask-him’ in my sweaty hand. It doesn’t matter that we’re in autumn/winter; my hand always sweats when I go to the doc. Also, my brain goes into an ‘oh-lord-the-doc’s-again’ fog and I usually forget why I’m there; hence, the list. It was going to be a quick visit. (Mind you, I say that every time. I’m a glass half-full person.) I thought I’d be out in 5. But, we got talking about authors and literature and… ‘Have you heard of James Lee Burke?’ the doc says. Yes, I say, I know the name. I wasn’t lying; the name did ring a bell. But, I was in the fog zone, so that was as far as it went right then. I googled...

Read More